Sender:
From:
John Annunziello <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Aug 2006 09:42:22 -0400
Hi Bill.

Bill said:  "We are revising our standard to a standard 200 dpi with even
lower dpi
permitted on high quality text documents."

I think you hit the nail on the head when you said high quality text
documents.  Without a doubt you could probably get away with OCR'ing the
document at this resolution.  However, in many cases when you are not
working with originals, the quality may not be there.  I believe this is
where you should use 300 dpi because it increases the performance of the
OCR capability.  When we went through our testing, we found that on many
documents the additional 100 dpi increased the quality of the OCR'ing by
up to 5% better resolution.  This was especially true when the original
was a faxed copy.

Bandwidth and storage space should always be taken into account, but the
ability for the client to effectively search and find the document should
override this process.

John Annunziello
Manager, Records and Information
Toronto and Region Conservation Authority

"Information is a corporate, strategic asset that needs to be managed"