Sender:
Date:
Thu, 24 Aug 2006 10:03:59 -0700
From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
On 8/23/06, Steven Whitaker <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> I suggest you have someone do a sample restore/electronic inventory; get
> a feel of the indexing schemes and classify per the retention schedules
> from that, and purge/retain accordingly, etc.  Then create a long-term
> (> 2 years) tape retention classification & authorization process.  We
> did that at a Fortune 100 energy company where I used to work.

Yeah, yeah, yeah... that might be one way of going about it, but if IT is
responsible for the tapes, the first thing I'd do is aske them to show you
their policy and procedure for generation of the tapes and their management
and control.  At minimum, they should have a documented practice for
labeling, and it should include the server/device the tape is generated from
and the date it was generated on.

If they know how frequently the device is backed up, and if the backup
represents the total contents, or an incremental period, then they shoudl
also know how many or which tapes would be required to regenerate the data
on that specific device.  Any tapes that represent data outside of those
time periods should be deleted or wiped for reuse NOW.

If they don't have a procedure/documented process in place, come the date
for implementation of the changes to the FRCP (Dec. 1?)  your organization
could be in a much worse position than they are now.  The Toshiba case in CA
a few years back required the searching of a large volume of "backup tapes"
(at Toshiba's expense) simply because they existed and there weren't
sufficiently documented policies to ensure backup tapes were used for that
specific purpose, to regenerate system information in the event of a
catastrophic loss of data, due to equipment failure or other unavoidable
situations.

Here is what Larry M. or Bruce W. will probably recommend (get past the
> RIM professional monikers and the acronyms behind the name and all the
> high-falutin corporate-speak verbiage, and they are just regular old
> cretins).   Purchase large quantities of amber-hued beverages; go out
> into the countryside or desert; invite all your rowdy friends and Miss
> Hurst Shifter, CRM, and all her friends; cook a pig in the ground; start
> a large bonfire and throw all the tapes into it; and have a pre-football
> season party.

There are many occassions that Bruce or I would recommend the purchase (and
consumption) of "large quantities of amber-hued beverages" and institute the
practice of cooking "a pig in the ground" (personally, I'd likely resort to
a 12-16 hour smoking cycle on my offset smoker wagon instead)... but if I'm
going to create a large bonfire", it won't be to burn backup tapes.  It'll
be to enjoy the sweet scent of mesquite in the evening hours while enjoying
one of my favorite tequilas and maybe even a cigar.

Or if you do not want to do all the organization of such an event,
> there is a Burning Man thing starts the end of next week in the desert
> north of Reno.  Just go up there and join in the festivities, and throw
> your tapes on the burning man fire.  DISCLAIMER:  My employer, ARMA, and
> the ICRM are not responsible for the contents of nor the behavior of
> participants at the Burning Man event.

 NO ONE accepts responsibility fo rthe actions of those who particpate in
Burning Man, not even the attendees... and I know, beacuse in 2003, I were
one of them... and likely NEVER again for me.

Of course, I am sophisticated and professional, and would never do
> anything so coarse.

This last comment comes from the same person that once said (in response to
the question):

"What exactly is your objection to the use of the DOD wiping standard?"

A round from a .44 magnum makes them hop and dance real nicely, just like a
tenderfoot ordering sasparilla in Virginia City's Bucket 'O Blood Saloon!

http://lists.ufl.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0409&L=RECMGMT-L&P=R6809&I=-3&m=25496

Larry
--
Larry Medina