Sender:
Date:
Tue, 29 Aug 2006 12:09:21 -0700
From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
On 8/29/06, Jones, Virginia <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> We rotate use of our back tapes every week or so.  They are not kept as
> an "archiving" solution for any of our electronic records.

Ginny-

Is there a written policy in IT that states WHAT the backup tapes are being
kept for, what the contents represent, and how they are to be used?   I'm
asking because I understand the lack of this type of information has brought
backup tapes into focus in some cases previously.  Guidance I've seen
suggests the policy should make clear that they are held for reinitializing
the system in the event of a failure or catastrophic loss of data, not
because "Mr. X accidentally deleted some files" and that the content is not
indexed in any manner and that is the ONLY purpose they are intended to
serve.

 We do not
> have automated system or a document management system for anything
> except drawings, so we rely on the user properly applying our e-mail and
> electronic records policy and procedures.

And such is the case with more organizations than care to admit it, simply
because of the cost and complexity of rolling out an automated system that
appropriately categorizes and accurately applies a retention period to the
universe of e-mail.

Essentially, at the user's
> discretion, an e-mail that must be kept as a record can be printed,
> saved as an rtf to another server (not the Exchange server), or archived
> as a pst (Outlook message) onto another server (not the Exchange
> server).  The last option requires Outlook to open and view the e-mail.

=)  Ahh... a classic entry for Mr. "I Hate Paper" =)

But you're right... depending on who establishes your requirements, printing
may be the only "simple" option you have in certain cases.
http://www.archives.gov/about/regulations/part-1234.html  (see 1234.24,
especially 6.B.(3), and all subsequent text)

A couple of questions for all Outlook users related to managing a "PST
archive" as an official e-mail repository.  It's my understanding that when
you convert to PST:

- you lose any attachments that were initially on the message,
- any embedded text (like an image or a chart, etc) becomes lost,
- you either lose the original metadata (sender's ISP, date and time stamps,
etc)  or it becomes altered to the collection/conversion date/time, and
- you can't search a repository of PST files.

How much of this is true/accurate?  And I'm speaking of when you do this
through Outlook in a native environment, not with the addition of any 3rd
party "tools" or the use of any additional resources.

Larry

--
Larry Medina
Danville, CA