Sender:
From:
"Garrett, Kelly" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Sep 2006 10:27:31 -0500
Julie,

 If the files are at an offsite records storage facility, you might
check to see if the departing attorney, or the attorney's new firm has
an account at that facility.  If so, and the client's boxes do not
contain any other client's files, you might be able to make arrangements
to transfer the boxes to the departing attorney's account without ever
physically touching the boxes.  I have done this several times, with all
appropriate authorizations (attorney, managing partner, client, etc.),
and it is a minimal cost. Both the current firm and the new firm will
need to convey in writing exactly what is being transferred / received,
to the off-site storage company.   I assume the files/boxes are not
active, or else they would not be at off-site storage.  The departing
attorney would probably move them into a storage facility when he
received them anyway. Of course this only works if the attorney is
remaining locally.  I have found this to be a highly efficient way to
transfer ownership of the boxes that are offsite.  I have been on both
sides, sending and receiving ownership, and it has worked well.  I wish
you luck.

Kelly C. Garrett
Records Manager
Baker, Donelson, Bearman, Caldwell & Berkowitz, PC
20th Floor, First Tennessee Bldg.
165 Madison Avenue
Memphis, TN  38103
Direct:  901.577.2193
Fax:  901.577.4237
E-mail:  [log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>
www.bakerdonelson.com <http://www.bakerdonelson.com/>

Baker, Donelson, Bearman, Caldwell, & Berkowitz, PC represents clients
across the U.S. and abroad
from offices in Alabama, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, Tennessee,
Washington, D.C.
and a representative office in Beijing, China.