Sender:
From:
John Annunziello <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Nov 2006 16:02:08 -0500
 A real conundrum indeed.

Personally, I hate the word "permanent" (like someone else hates paper).
Perhaps, we as M's or some our esteemed Archivists can come up with a word
which means "for a long time" but does not have the connotation of
forever.  Our EDRMS defines permanent as 999 years...certainly a long way
from permanent.  We have some success in moving many of our permanent
records to 75 years, once staff know they will be reviewed before
destruction.

If these are minutes for a meeting they may need to be kept "permanently".
 Our minutes for different board meetings are rated as permanent as they
contain much of the history of the organization.  Obviously, the
administrative value decreases as time goes on.  The fiscal value is
captured in other locations and is not a key factor.

Anyways.....anybody have another word for permanent.

John Annunziello
Manager, Records and Information
Toronto and Region Conservation Authority

"Information is a corporate, strategic asset that needs to be managed"