Sender:
Date:
Wed, 15 Nov 2006 23:30:12 -0500
From:
Peter Kurilecz <[log in to unmask]>
On 11/15/06, Roach, Bill J. <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> On the other hand, I was very disappointed in the number of
> organizations I talked with that we looking for someone to lead the
> electronic RM effort.  Several stated that they had actively looked for
> someone, only to be told that there was no interest by RM (we handle
> paper) or RM was not qualified (they are the folks in the basement).

If it was RM stating they had no interest in taking on an e-RM effort
then shame on them. They have no vision. Secondly who is determining
whether or not RM is qualified. Are they not qualified because they
don't have 100% of the skills that the company is seeking?

this is like some recent job adverts that list CRM desirable, JD and
PMP preferred. not many folks out there with all those qualifications

> So my questions to the list are this:
> 1. What does it take to get Records Managers (we handle paper) up to the
> plate?

In my opinion ARMA International needs to develop relationships with
the following organizations

Association of Corporate Counsel (www.acca.com)

American Institute of Certified Public Accountants www.aicpa.org

Society of Corporate Secretaries and Governance Professionals
http://www.governanceprofessionals.org/

American Management Association
http://www.amanet.org/index.htm

these are just some organizations that the C-level folks belong to.
Each of these organizations have similar concerns that RM
professionals have.

I'm currently reading a book about how food in the US. A history of
folks such as Julia Child , James Beard and Craig Claiborne. Now one
paragraph in this book ties into our current problems. How many folks
on this list were aware that chefs were not considered professionals
until 1977? Prior to 1977 chefs were classified the occupation of chef
under the "Services" category, which also covers domestics and
dogcatchers. In 1977 they raised it to the category of "Professional,
Technical and Management Occupations"

Now mine question is "Under what classification will you find records
managers in the Occupational Outlook Handbook?
http://www.bls.gov/search/ooh.asp?ct=OOH" Go ahead search for records
manager. You won't find it. You'll find file clerks, records clerks
and archivists. Now records management is mentioned under the
archivist heading but only as part of an archivist training.

For years Ira Penn argued against having a DOL classification for
records manager believing that would limit us. But I disagree, I will
believe that we are currently limited because we aren't listed.

I believe that ARMA International should work towards having the DOL
classify Records Management as a profession and Records Managers as
professionals. HR professionals look to the OOH for guidance.

Records Managers need to broaden their horizons. they need to read any
and everything that may affect their work. How many folks are
subscribed to free magazines such as Information Week, Computer World
or e-Week. These are the magazines that the IT folks read. Want to
know what C-Level folks are concerned about? Then consider getting an
free subscription to CIO, CSO and other CXO magazines. If I can get
free subscriptions so can you. Or how about Baseline Magazine?
http://www.baselinemag.com/ Without a doubt all records professionals
should be reading this magazine. Not one issue goes by that doesn't
have at least one article in it that I can apply to records management
problems. Just take a look at this article
http://www.baselinemag.com/article2/0,1540,2055085,00.asp

How many of you have a network that you can call on within your
organization? Have you made yourself an essential person? Are you
someone that others call upon for help, even if the problem is not RM
related? For example at a former employer I was asked by the
Purchasing group to become involved in negotiating two new national
contracts. Both contracts were RM related, one for storage, one for
destruction. But I brought more to the table than just my RM
experience. I had previously supervised a small purchasing group at
another employer so I knew about reading Ts and Cs carefully. I was
aware of new federal regulations concerning the destruction of
confidential information and knew to ask how this company would be
able to help us comply. I also knew that the billing could be daunting
at times. We worked out a rate that our AP group could understand and
not hold up paying the vendor.

> 2. How do Records Managers (they are the folks in the basement) capture
> the attention of management that they can be of more value than just
> being an early warning system for a broken pipe?

For ten years now I've been publishing RAIN with but one purpose in
mind. To make records and information management professionals aware
of stories that relate to our profession. I have in the past received
private replies from folks saying "thanks for RAIN, there was an
article in it that helped me get my point across to management or to
make them aware of a potential problem." What do you do with RAIN? Do
you just delete it thinking it is spam? Seriously one individual
recently emailed me to say he had been deleting RAIN thinking it was
just so much spam, until he decided to open one issue and lo and
behold he was amazed at the information contained within it. Or
another individual emailed asking how I compile RAIN as their group
manually combs hardcopy newspapers for stories about archives that
they then clip-out, paste on paper, photocopy and then distribute to
their organization. This group wants to be more efficient, and is
looking for a better way to do it.

Want to capture upper-managements attention? Point out a problem, but
also offer possible solutions. No one likes to hear about a problem.
they want to know how it can be prevented, stopped or fixed. Be a
problem-solver not a problem bringer. Make sure your solution has a
solid ROI

Be proactive in managing your budget. Learn how to forecast your
needs, develop a strategic plan and how you will accomplish it.
Develop relationships with folks in other parts of your organization.
help them solve their problems. Step outside the boundaries. Take on a
problem that no one else will take on. Be an educator but don't hit
them over the head.

Smith. This man knows how to market and sell. he is brimming with
ideas and is passionate about what he sells.

Be willing to take a risk? See a job advert that piques your interest?
then why not apply for it. Will it offer challenges? will it stretch
your capabilities? will you learn something new?

> 3. How long will there be Records Managers if we don't figure out how to
> do 1 & 2 above very quickly?

oh there will still be records managers but they will still be in the basement

well these are my opinions and along with about a buck fifty you can
get a large coffee

thanks Bill for asking some very good questions

--
Peter Kurilecz CRM CA
Richmond, Va