Sender:
From:
John Annunziello <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Jan 2007 10:36:17 -0500
Wow championships in both basketball and football.  Well done.

There are ancillary costs which should be taken into account if that's
where you're going with this.  When you bring in an EDRMS your goal should
certainly be to use less paper.  But that's not why you choose to go down
that road.   The primary goal, of course, is easy and quick access.   In
our case, we have decided to scan all of our permanent records into the
EDRMS.  This means less offsite storage and retrieval costs as well as
providing a backup to our paper.

From a paper standpoint, there is a real paradigm shift within an
organization to move from paper to electronic.  Baby boomers, such as
myself for instance, are quite used to, content with and happy with paper
(sorry Steve).  I have found that the younger people in our organization
are quite happy and content working within the electronic realm.  They are
often reading from the screen and do not need paper copies.  The baby
boomers and older generation will often print out copies rather than read
from the screen.  Bad eyesight or contentment with paper perhaps?  In the
course of time and as people retire and staff become happier reading from
the screen, this will change.

To answer your question, in most cases we have seen a slight decrease in
the amount of paper.  I would assume that we will continue to see a
decrease in paper as time goes on.

John Annunziello
Manager, Records and Information
Toronto and Region Conservation Authority

"Information is a corporate, strategic asset that needs to be managed"

Gus Harris <[log in to unmask]>
Sent by: Records Management Program <[log in to unmask]>
01/09/2007 09:24 AM
Please respond to

cc

Subject
[RM] more paper?

I've been thinking lately that the application of electronic imaging
widely within my organization will probably increase the amount of paper
records rather than decrease.  You may scan and subsequently dispose of
the original paper document....but then how many folks who now have
availability to the scanned image will print it?  Does anyone have that
experience within their organization....an increase rather than a
decrease in paper?  Just curious...

Gus Harris

Records Manager

The Univ. of West FL

Pensacola,...Florida....state of them fierce GATORS that made a meal of
Ohio! :-)