Date:
Fri, 12 Jan 2007 01:47:11 -0500
From:
Hugh Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Sender:
> From:    Steve Petersen <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Off-site storage trends
>
> I've been tasked by tomorrow to produce some industry trends for
> offsite
> storage of RIM program material.  This would include the major
> players and
> their status within the industry.
>
> I've already stated that the breakdown looks like a pyramid with 3
> layers(top to bottom) 1) the 400 LB gorilla named Iron Mountain, 2)
> 6-12
> Midsize regional vendors, 3) Mom & Pop vendors.  Can anyone tell me
> the %
> of business in each category and the trends over the last few years.

I can't imagine how this information is useful to them as the
question is too broad.

 From the big end you have in addition to the Gorilla, you have
Recall, Archives 1, NRC
(although a consortium they offer the best of both worlds, one
invoice, competitive pricing,
great software and tracking and best of all an Owner Manager at every
site.)   There is the
FIRELOCK Affinity Network which is predicated on a uniform benchmark
of security in the
facility, precise environmental control for media longevity, a listed
and Labeled Vault
and they are about 50 strong in major markets.

There is a new group coming together that will have Listed and
Labeled vault but they will
offer SAS 70 Audited Facility based on Security Standards and
insurance for the client
that protects them against loss.  This group will offer an insurance
company to certify that they
are in compliance so losses do not occur, as they will cover losses
should they occur.
This new group is finalizing things and it will be comprised of about
25 companies to
start.

There is also District Archives which is a franchise organization and
it is growing.
Finally there are probably 40 or so regional players that have 3 to 5
markets covered.
Their commonality is they are well liked regional companies that
expanded to adjacent
market to play off their name recognition as a quality service provider.

[Jim Booth could do a better job on this but this will help you on
your quick turn around.]

All told there are probably about 50 very large individual location
companies ( for example
FIREPROOF in Columbus and BRM in Pittsburgh and so on but many are
also members of
NRC.

There are about 4,000 companies that claim to be records management
and storage in the
Yellow Pages but I think this narrows down to about 1,000 that you
would consider real.
PRISM has about 400 members and Jim Booth could nail this exactly.
Everyday this grows,
even with the consolidation by merger that is going on.

There are many people coming into the industry that are coming in to
do Media Only but then
migrate to offer Evaulting and then Server Vaulting, Co-location,
etc.  Many of these come
from the imaging side. they offer a more specialized and secure
platform.

NAID is very progressive and adds members across this spectrum.  They
did it right with a
Certification right from the beginning. There are hundreds of
Shredding Firms, not all NAID
though.  Some of these NAID firms then move over to media vaulting
because they understand
security in records protection.

I find it ironic that a record can exist for 7 to 10 years in a
warehouse with doors left open on
hot days but in the last week of the records life, the shredding
company provides super security.

As more media is created, the Media Vaulting only business will keep
growing.  There about
50 out there that specialize in media across the country

> I've also already stated that which category a business uses
> depends on a
> large matrix of requirements including compliance,location, risk
> mgt,media
> involved,services,,etc and that the answer will vary as much as the
> amount
> of businesses when choosing a vendor.

If you defined what your quality benchmarks I could narrow it down as
to who was left that
would meet the requirements.

> I think they want to know -for whatever reason the direction the
> off-site
> industry has taken and where it's headed.

I think you are going to see companies send their paper one way and
their media another.
The big boys have become targets.  What if all your boxes are gone
tomorrow and they also
had your media there too?  Some BIG companies are having to take
charge offs due to lost
records.  AND AS THE NEW REGULATIONS STATE, THIS IS NOT A CAUSE FOR
RELIEF
FROM LITIGATION.

Storing your media away from your boxes might be the next issue??

Hugh Smith