Sender:
Date:
Fri, 12 Jan 2007 09:25:34 -0800
From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
On 1/12/07, Kaminski, Kim <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Good morning.  This is my first post to the Records Management
> Listserve.  I have been given the daunting task of developing an
> enterprise wide RFP for engaging a national offsite paper records
> storage vendor. I'm new to the records management area and with the idea
> of not recreating the wheel, thought this would be a great forum for
> gathering information.  Does anyone have an RFP that would help in
> getting the process started  or ideas on what to include in the RFP?

See some of the postings recently regarding this issue.  It's not very often
that someone else's RFP will suit your organizations individual needs, but
you might get some ideas of the issues that are deal makers or deal breakers
for you.

By way of introduction, I work for a defense contractor in Minneapolis,
> MN.

If you're a defense contractor working under the control of a Federal
Agency, then the records your  organization generates are largely Federal
Records.  In that case, your storage provider must meet the requirements
contained in CFR36, Part 1228, Subpart K.  These facility standards must be
included in any RFP you issue, because if your selected provider can't meet
them, you're likely going to be out of compliance with your contract withe
agency you work for.  And this is true whether you're the PRIME contractor
or a SUB contractor.

I am currently the Ethics and Compliance Director and volunteered
> to help make our records management system more robust.  We have a ways
> to go but look forward to the journey.

It's going to be a COOL journey and when it's all over and you look back at
it, it'll be like the Grateful Dead said.... "What a long, strange, trip
it's been" =)  And I mean that in a GOOD way!!

Larry

--
Larry Medina
Danville, CA