Sender:
Date:
Tue, 16 Jan 2007 08:45:09 -0800
From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
On 1/15/07, Roach, Bill J. <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> >>You would think that company policies would require an annual training
> so the company can make sure that we are aware of the requirements
> associated with their policies.<<
>
> I know of a number of companies that include records management training
> for all employees.  However, it is not mandated by statute or
> regulation.

I'd agree with most of what's been said on this so far... there's not
necessarily a mandate by statute or regulation, but it is in the Orders and
it IS IN THE CONTRACTUAL requirements of some Government Agencies that their
Contractors have a Records Management Program, with certain components and
one of those includes a requirement for regular training to be provided on
RM to employees. As an example...

DOE Order 243.1, Records Management, 2/3/06

Objectives, (Item 1 (b) (1) ) states:

"Provide for the awareness that records management is a part of the job of
every DOE employee and contractor..."

Further, Item 4 (i)  continues:

"Ensure records management program training is provided for all personnel
with records management responsibilities on a regular basis."

So, there is nothing prescriptive as to what this has to consist of or how
it is to be achieved, or to what degree, but there is a requirement for
it... and similar requirements exist in other Federal Agencies as well.

Seeing as all guidance for RM Programs at the Federal level comes from NARA
and is included in 36CFR, the following in Section 1220.14, Definitions,
sets forth the requirement that training exist:

*"Records management,* as used in subchapter B, means the planning,
controlling, directing, organizing, training, promoting, and other
managerial activities involved with respect to records creation, records
maintenance and use, and records disposition in order to achieve adequate
and proper documentation of the policies and transactions of the Federal
Government and effective and economical management of agency operations."

Larry

--
Larry Medina
Danville, CA