Sender:
Date:
Sat, 27 Jan 2007 19:30:31 -0500
From:
Peter Kurilecz <[log in to unmask]>
On 1/27/07, Marion Sumerianlibrarian <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> i'm heartened that you kept my subject heading! thanks
> for the free plug...

I rarely if ever change the subject line of posts as that affects the
threading and archiving of the messages.

> thanks also for eliciting suggestions concerning your
> search parameters.

well where are the suggestions. many folks complain, but rarely do
they offer solutions. And  when asked to provide for solutions or
suggestions nothing is forthcoming. I really didn't expect anything in
return.

>frankly, i question why you'd ever
> want to include the controversy over the bush library
> in rain postings in the first place.

and why is that? I posted any number of stories about the Clinton
Library during its establishment. Isn't the Bush Library part of the
National Archives? or you referring to the fact that politically i am
a conservative and why would I bother to post stories that are in
opposition? Well I try to provide a balanced selection of stories. Yes
I might lean somewhat right of center, but as Charles Childress
pointed out if I went way right he would be on my like well......

as others have pointed out you have rarely if ever provided anything
of value to the list. You have complained about my story selection for
RAIN, but have yet to point out what is wrong or how it could be
improved. You speak of it being boring and dull which leads one to
believe that you do open up the messages and glance through them on
occasion.

in another message you wrote; "peter posts rain and everyone reads and
enjoys it very much, but if someone wishes to discuss either its
contents or its premises then that becomes a VERY BIG PROBLEM."

so far I haven't seen any discussion from you about the RAIN's
contents except to ask how I select the stories, what parameters (or
as i prefer search terms) I use all of which I believe that I have in
the past fully explained. Unfortunately you were not pleased with my
response. I'm not sure what you mean by the premises of RAIN.  Are you
asking why I do it? well if you search back in the archives of the
archivist listserv you may find some postings that I explain why I
started doing RAIN over 10 years ago. Over time others have tried to
do something similar, but they end up dying on the vine.

you have implied some bias concerning story selection, but have not
provided any examples. ooops I forgot you did provide links to 2
letters to the editor from the SMU newspaper. and as I explained one
wouldn't have been picked up by any of my search terms and the other
had nothing really to do with the Bush library.

so to sum up

I. I look forward to receiving suggestions from you for new search
terms, but remember I already have over 75 Google News alerts running
at the present time.

2. the challenge offer still stands. accept a week's worth of news
alerts for review and post stories that you think i should have
selected along with some type of reason why I should have selected.
what makes the story that important.

--
Peter Kurilecz CRM CA
Richmond, Va