Sender:
Date:
Sat, 27 Jan 2007 21:10:00 -0700
From:
Jesse Wilkins <[log in to unmask]>
Comments:
To: Management & Preservation of Electronic Records <[log in to unmask]>
Hi all, and with apologies for cross-posting and the length of this post,

Several weeks agoon the RECMGMT-L list we were discussing the recent and
future ARMA conferences: no more paper manuals, presentations to be
distributed electronically, the issues associated with the flash drives or
lack thereof, and so forth. I proposed that ARMA move in the direction of
creating a "conference wiki" with the intent of getting all the speakers to
put their stuff out on a wiki. The benefits of doing this are numerous:
* Updates to the PPT, the synopsis, bio, etc. can be done very easily by end
users
* Speakers can post not just PPT and the occasional Proceedings paper, but
also templates, checklists, decision trees, related presentations, etc.
* Others can (with speakers' permission) post information related to the
speaker's topic as well
* Sessions could be recorded and uploaded
* Those interested in conference who were not able to attend would
eventually get access to the entire wiki and everything in it, either free
or for a fee

The only downside I see to it is getting people to participate. So I'm going
to try to kickstart this by clearing out my wiki at
http://informata.pbwiki.com. I will then make it available to anyone who
wants to post to it. Here are the ground rules:
* Presentations must be RIM-related. Yes, that includes ECM, DM, BI, KM,
etc.
* You must have permission to post presentations - don't go posting other
peoples' stuff. That's copyright infringement.
* NO SALES PITCHES! That said, vendors and consultants can play as well. If
you want to post a sales pitch, and you're OK with me reviewing it and
noting it as same, OK. If not, and I will review everything from vendors and
consultants, make the presentation(s) educational and content-rich.
* A PPT and bio is good; it's better if you can supplement. With what?
Whatever you think relevant and valuable.
* Play nicely. Don't go futzing with someone else's page. At the moment I
haven't figured out how to grant granular security for a pbwiki-hosted site,
but I trust most of you. If it gets ugly I'll move to e.g. Socialtext,
Wikia, or someone else's solution.

For an example of how I did this, visit
http://informata.pbwiki.com/Effective%20Email%20Management%20-%20Sep%207%202
006. That page is for a presentation I did for the AIIM Rocky Mountain
Chapter in September. It has my bio, a synopsis, links to the PPT and a PDF
version, and links to books, websites, and blogs that cover or relate to
email management. Some of it is still "to-do", but that's OK. I'll be adding
a bunch of other presentations as well in the coming weeks - hope some of
you will consider doing so as well. Here's another example I mentioned on
the list before, this one a wiki for public speakers hosted by Socialtext:
http://www.socialtext.net/speakers/index.cgi?jesse_wilkins

If you want to participate, but just don't have the time, I will post for
you. I need the presentation, a bio, and a synopsis - in other words, the
same things you had to submit to e.g. AIIM, ARMA, etc. to speak.

Now some of you may ask, what do I get out of this? Not much. There are no
references to IMERGE, J Wilkins & Associates, Metalinear Media, or anything
of that nature on the wiki. (I don't think anyway. If you find one outside
my bio and presentations, let me know and I will remove it). I won't own any
of your content - of course, if you post it, someone else may find it, link
to it, "steal" it, etc. Welcome to the World Wide Web.

What I get out of this is the same you do: a central repository for lots of
really good compelling content. I think that AIIM, ARMA, and other related
chapters may find it valuable as they look for speakers, topics, and
presentations, and if a lot of stuff gets put out here, AIIM and/or ARMA may
actually consider doing it themselves for future conferences.

If you want to participate, drop me a note and I will send you the password
to the site. For those of you who have served on a program committee, this
should especially be of interest to you.

Questions, comments, concerns? Let me know.

Jesse Wilkins

CDIA+, LIT, ICP, edp, ermm, ecms

IMERGE Consulting

(303) 574-1455 office