Date:
Mon, 29 Jan 2007 10:46:56 -0800
Sender:
From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Pretty decent article about E-mail  "More E-Mail, More Problems" in teh
recentr edition of Information Week:

http://snipurl.com/18p9w

I found this comment especially interesting:

" Don't count on those annoying disclaimers that legal departments append to
the bottoms of e-mail to bail you out of hot water. They don't hold any
legal weight, Gartner's Cain says. "I went through a couple of very common
legal disclaimers line by line with an attorney, and we ended up rolling on
the floor laughing at how toothless these disclaimers really are," he says.
"

And this as well, given our discussion about use of personal e-mail accounts
for business:

" Its seems that every employee has a favorite e-mail app or service he or
she considers superior to the company's system. A client of LECG, a
consulting firm, had a senior executive who just couldn't part with his AOL
e-mail. The IT department didn't want to raise a stink, so it forwarded all
of his e-mails to his AOL account. Recently, an investigation of the company
turned up e-mails in the executive's in-box dating all the way back to 1999.
"It's all great to accommodate executives who want AOL, but it's time to
think about it and say, 'Maybe we shouldn't be that nice,'" says Kris
Haworth, managing director of LECG's forensic investigation group.  Or that
intimidated. An IT worker at another of Haworth's clients saved an
executive's e-mail on CDs that he stored in his home kitchen, after the exec
yelled at him for not being able to recover his deleted e-mails.  The new
model of unified voice mail and e-mail is compounding matters, as voice mail
must also be retained and searchable for legal and regulatory compliance
purposes. The legal department of accounting firm Grant Thornton doesn't let
employees forward voice mails off-site for fear they could expose the
company to litigation. "

Larry

--
Larry Medina