Sender:
From:
John Annunziello <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Jan 2007 13:35:33 -0500
Some very good thoughts on this and I am in full agreement.....as a matter
of fact I'm  in the process of re-doing our records structure now.  I
muddled over this for a great period of time and came to the realization
that the current file plan, although working well in the paper world, did
not work well in the electronic realm.  Thus the new functional file plan
will have a great reduction in the main series as well as subseries.  we
have to a simplistic approach, so all users, regardless of where they
work, will understand the plan,

What is not being discussed is the mapping of the old series to the new
series.   This is what has been holding me back but finally decided to
bite the bullet build a new file plan.  I believe that many of the old
series will be easily mapped, while some subseries may end up in totally
different main series.  Any one done this and care to offer advise?

Larry says:  As an example, there is
a suggestion to roll 17 existing record series into one.  Currently, 10 of
those have a 3 year retention, 3 have a 2 year retention, 2 have a 5 year
retention and 2 have a 75 year retention.  The proposal is to make them
ALL
75 YEARS.  Now THAT'S a BIG bucket.

Not certain why you would even want to go down this road.  Is it because
retention is set at the main series level?  If so, I understand.  If not,
then why do this.  Doesn't it make sense to set retention at the
sub-series level?  Our EDRMS software has just provided us with this
feature and was the catalyst in going to a new file plan.

John Annunziello
Manager, Records and Information
Toronto and Region Conservation Authority

"Information is a corporate, strategic asset that needs to be managed"

"Manago, William M" <[log in to unmask]>
Sent by: Records Management Program <[log in to unmask]>
01/30/2007 09:52 AM
Please respond to

cc

Subject
[RM] New Thread:  Big Buckets vs Small Buckets

Is there a trend to reduce the number of subject catogories that are
available to users when declaring records?  Are users are more likely to
file when there are less options (file locations) available to them?  If
so, what is the impact on the accuracy of filing?  Has anyone reduced
the number of categories and sub-categories in their organization's file
plans by 10%?, 20%?, 30% or more?  Your thoughts and observations would
be appreciated.

Bill Manago, CRM
Technology Strategist
CA MDY