Sender:
Date:
Thu, 1 Feb 2007 12:09:11 -0800
From:
"Brent D. Smith" <[log in to unmask]>
Adam,

I would agree with Julie Colgan's take that an integrated solution will
avoid many potentially awkward or expensive problems.   However,  virtually
any program that allows one to create and configure a custom report (Word,
Excel, Access, etc.) can be coupled with barcode fonts to make very nice
barcode labels.   There are a few tricks to know, depending on what barcode
format you use.  These can be found  with a quick Google search.   I have
found this approach simpler and easier than "Barcode printing"  software
packages.    It would be best to use a database software as a basis for
this in order to provide an ongoing record of what is printed and easier
communication with your Records software.  You can even use a standard
inkjet or laser printer, although dedicated barcode printers will create
more appropriately durable labels.

Good Luck,

Brent D. Smith
Corporate Records System Administrator
Office Services
Guardian Life Insurance Co.
777 E. Magnesium Rd.
Spokane WA 99208
509-468-6225

<<I'm working with a client who does not want to purchase the barcoding
module to their current RMS.  With that in mind, they want to run a very
simple, separate barcode circulation system.  Please let me know, either on
the listserve or off, if you are aware of any software/hardware systems
that they could run.  (I remember a discussion several months ago about
putting together a system on the cheap, but I'm looking for either an
off-the-shelf item or something that can be licensed.)>>

This message, and any attachments to it, may contain information
that is privileged, confidential, and exempt from disclosure under
applicable law.  If the reader of this message is not the intended
recipient, you are notified that any use, dissemination,
distribution, copying, or communication of this message is strictly
prohibited.  If you have received this message in error, please
notify the sender immediately by return e-mail and delete the
message and any attachments.  Thank you.