Sender:
Date:
Fri, 2 Feb 2007 17:14:27 -0500
From:
John Phillips <[log in to unmask]>
I generally make this distinction - RM takes care of the retention issues,
IT takes care of the systems/technology issues, and the
users/legal/compliance/etc. take care of the content/value issues.
Obviously, RM has to understand both internal and external perspectives on
content/value to impact retention. However, the reason I can usually
effectively pursuade IT that they DO NOT want to be involved in declaration,
classification, filing, and content decisions, is that it vastly expands
their responsibilies, when they alread have more than enough to do.

Suddenly IT would have to get involved in the content evaluation of EVERY
business function's system content, to be equally fair to records
users/creators - HR, accounting, engineering, compliance, legal, etc. RMs
typically enjoy learning about content (especially value issues) and IT
people generally want to work with actual systems, and not get bogged down
into user's content and processes. That is why it is so common to find
systems that are not "user-friendly" - IT created the specs/requirements and
ignored the users - a classic boondoggle with a long history.

John

John T. Phillips
BS, MSLS, CRM, CDIA, FAI
Information Technology Decisions