Sender:
Date:
Mon, 5 Feb 2007 10:08:03 -0500
From:
"Cheryl L. Rose" <[log in to unmask]>
So, I spoke with our IT guy this morning about the scheduled meeting we
have today to present our plan for retention management of our key
function (grantmaking) electronic information. He said, we have triple
the capacity that we need to store and are having no performance issues
(in our document management and SAP applications), search tools are
getting better and better for finding information, and we are low risk
for litigation (philanthropic organization).

My response was "what about the next conversion?" He says, but we have
everything in TIFF and PDF. The industry will have to convert those to
the next whatever. Besides, we have other options like "archiving off"
rather than purging. He says we have greater issues with the stuff that
is not in our DMS (without ERM) and SAP. He's right. He left and I
walked out with his boss who says to me, "I thought of you last week as
I was in a Sharepoint conference and thought we should get you in on
learning and contributing to this thinking."

My meeting is at 3pm today about the retention issue for our key
grantmaking records in DMS/SAP. Obviously they think there are no
"driving" issues with those applications, but are thinking more broadly
to the other types of records that Sharepoint might be able to address.
We only have so many resources. I sure would like to be worthy of being
invited to the table. I'd be interested in your responses to these
questions:

Should I back off the electronic records in a these systems and
concentrate on the other types of records that are all over the place
first? I've been watching the chatter on this and it doesn't seem to
have much teeth, but maybe we don't need that much? I'll start doing
some research on this - any suggestions to get started?

Should I have the backbone to make the case for these key electronic
records for the sake of "good" retention management and archival
accessibility but acknowledge it might be a later priority? Executive
staff approved policy recently that we will keep records according to a
retention schedule (soon to be updated and approved).

Cheryl Rose
Records & Archives Analyst