Sender:
From:
Gus Harris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Feb 2007 09:16:41 -0600
I've been in the process at my organization of considering different
options for upgrading our present database that we use in our records
storage facility.  I've looked at many of the "records storage" software
packages available from various vendors...and haven't really seen
anything that would be that suitable for our small facility (approx.
3500 cubic feet of storage space).  Anyway, I've spoken with our ITS
department about some programming using ms access, etc. and going that
route...and some other programming (sequel??) and a central server,
etc., etc.   The latest conversation I had with our ITS department
centered around whether an enterprise-wide imaging/WORKFLOW software
implementation that we've embarked on organization wide (for several
other departments) could ultimately satisfy our needs for a better
system in our records storage facility.  I've been attending vendor
presentations by several vendors we've chosen for finalists in the
imaging/workflow software system project, and I now have a fairly good
understanding of just what workflow software can do for us in various
departments.  However, as I told our ITS folks, I don't see how workflow
can provide for our management of a records storage facility.  I
certainly can see how I can manage some processes with workflow related
to the storage facility....but my understanding is that we'll still need
database software that isn't in workflow.  Certainly some of our
processes for storage and disposition can benefit from workflow and
integrate with whatever database we are using for the storage
facility....but I don't think that the implementation of workflow
software....at least from my understanding at this point...will give us
the capability to totally revamp our inactive records storage facility
management.

For those of you who are knowledgeable in this area...and are perhaps
already using workflow software for various organizational document
management processes....I'd like to know am I missing something
here?....Can workflow provide the sort of thing I've described above? or
have I not explained myself so you get what I'm trying to ask?

I need to write a report about this for my admin and explain why the
implementation of "workflow software" won't provide for this "other"
need I have in our records management department.  Much appreciation in
advance for any comments regarding this!  And, for those who might want
to tell me about some "records storage facility" software...well, I've
looked at about everything available so I don't actually need that info.
I really want to know if this workflow implementation can provide
anything for us other than automation of processes.

Thanks,

Gus Harris

Records Manager

The Univ. of West FL