Sender:
Date:
Wed, 7 Feb 2007 08:24:32 -0800
From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
On 2/7/07, Newth, Kimberly <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Here are some thoughts for consideration.

I have a question that relates to process documentation for disaster
> recovery.  Here's my scenario:
>
> I have finally convinced someone in my company that changing the media
> type of their records from paper to image is of benefit.  I am preparing
> a process for the conversion and storage of the imaged records in EMC
> Documentum.  I have permission to destroy said paper records after the
> images have completed a QC process.  Documentum is backed up
> incrementally every evening by IT, and there is a full backup once a
> week.

Make sure you understand  what "backed up" means, in terms of the media it's
written to, and if it's also "mirrored" or otherwise replicated elsewhere
on-site or offsite as well.  Sometimes when IT says backed up, they may mean
something a bit different than what you're thinking in RIM terms.

Another BIG ISSUE is where are these incremental backups stored and how are
they managed?  In the event of a catastrophic failure, if they needed to go
back to the weekly full backup 5-6 days later, you could stand to lose a
weeks worth of changes, and that could be substantial... not only in volume,
but in terms of what the content changes represent.

Backup tapes are stored offsite in a secure facility.

I think a combination of RIM and Risk Management need to make this
determination.  Does it meet the requirements of NFPA 232, 13 and 75?  Have
you seen the contract in terms of services provided?  Are the vehicles that
transport the media environmentally sound to protect against drastic changes
in temperature and humidity and shock during transport?  Is your media
stored commingled with that of other firms?  How is it tracked from pickup
to storage to delivery?  Is it far enough away from your principal place of
business that it wouldn't be involved in an event that may involve your
facility?  Do they know who to release data to in the event of a disaster,
and do you have multiple contact names? Do you have a "Business Associates
Agreement" in force in the contract that ensure proper protection of your
media and its content from mishandling or exposure to others?

Depending on the types of data stored in your system (contracts, purchase
orders, other financial data,  agreements with major customers, personnel,
medical, etc.) some of the above are critical for you (or more to the point,
your organization) to know in terms of privacy protection, compliance with
HIPAA, GLBA, FISMA, SOX, and other obligations for managing the data.

I know
> that if something bad happens and the Documentum server goes down that
> IT can restore it, but I don't know the nitty gritty details of such a
> process

You can only say you KNOW THIS if they have actually done it in an exercise
and proven they can, and how long it will take.  I can tell you that I was
personally involved in an incident with an ECM system where a decision was
made to perform this exercise on a 4 day weekend, and the results were "eye
opening" to IT.  The system was taken down at 6pm on a Thursday and full
reload and restart began 4 hours later.  At 6am on Tuesday, they were at 84%
restore...

.  Now here's my question.  Do I need to sit down with IT
> personnel & hash out an actual process for DR recovery of these records
> should the worst happen?  Or can I rely on the fact that I know IT has
> covered their bases with their own processes, and that is sufficient?

Not only should any DR plans be formally recorded, they should be
periodically exercised... a minimum of once annually, and it's not a bad
idea for one of those to be unannounced.  You should find out WHO has the
responsibility for disaster response in your organization... it may be a
shared responsibility, but SOME SINGLE organization has full
responsibility.  At minimum, with respect to the Documentum system, you
should know (by position title and name) who the first, second and third
contact are for reinstating of the system in the event of a catastrophic
failure.

I would really appreciate hearing from any of you folks out  there who
> have any comments, or suggestions, thanks!

That's all I've got (for starters) =)

Larry

--
Larry Medina