Sender:
Date:
Wed, 7 Feb 2007 14:41:04 -0500
From:
Peter Kurilecz <[log in to unmask]>
On 2/7/07, Rich Wilson <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Good morning/afternoon,
>
> Has anyone been contacted about the following article: "Ruling: Schools must archive eMail," URL: http://www.eschoolnews.com/news/showStory.cfm?ArticleID=6734, dated December 8, 2006, If so, how are you dealing with it? I have been contacted by one of my school districts concerned they have to "save every e-mail."

this article contains the usual disinformation and scare tactics as
exemplified by the lead paragraph

"December 8, 2006—According to new federal rules that went into effect
Dec. 1, schools, businesses, and other organizations are required to
keep tabs on all eMail, instant messages (IM), and other digital
communications produced by their employees."

the new FRCP does not require schools to do anything such thing.
Public schools are already subject to their state records retention
requirements.

the same thing occurred when Sarbanes-Oxley came into effect, all
sorts of misinformation was put forth as to what was required by SOX.
The same thing is being done with regards to the FRCP.

the best thing to do is to become very well-versed as to what the new
FRCP does state and what it doesn't state. I would prepare a short FAQ
(no more than 1 page) which explains what the FRCP affects and how
your records management program helps one to be in compliance with the
rules.

finally I would right a letter to the offending publication and point
out how the article is spreading incorrect information and how all
public schools are currently subject to records retention requirements

sorry rant mode off. In the past 6 months in putting together stories
for RAIN I've seen just about every possible type of spin applied to
the new FRCP. this article just exemplifies what the others also did.
(and speaking of which this article was posted as part of RAIN on Dec
10th)

--
Peter Kurilecz CRM CA
Richmond, Va