Sender:
Date:
Fri, 9 Feb 2007 15:16:50 -0500
From:
Peter Kurilecz <[log in to unmask]>
There are always going to be two sides in the discussion concerning
the question of "crm or not crm". that side Gaining certification is
always going to be a personal decision. This is similar to what has
occurred in other professions. 60 or 70 years ago board certification
was a very rare designation in the medical profession, now it is
fairly common. Same thing in the legal profession you now have
attorneys who certified in family law, estate law or whatever law.

The certification is a baseline designation. it allows a potential
employer an opportunity to set a bar. Most of the job postings that I
see these days do NOT have CRM as a required element, but they do say
it is preferred.  The main problem is that if you ask the employers
about the designation they know very little about it or how one even
obtains the designation.

Jesse asked about salary surveys. i think that Ray Cunningham's is
very representative of the current state. With that in mind many of
the employers posting jobs are offering salary levels that many folks
are currently receiving. If you want to attract qualified applicants
the salary level and other compensation such as relocation must be
sufficient enough to get the applicants. Why do I mention relocation?
Well to move yourself and your family even a few hundred miles is not
inexpensive.

should salary ranges or at least a starting point be published? i
think so why should someone submit a resume for a position that will
only pay at their current level? why should a candidate waste their
time for a lateral move?

yes there is a limited number of CRMs available as such that makes it
a sellers market unlike the archivist job market where there are more
archivists than positions.

Finally why are so many companies seeking out CRMs? well in my opinion
it is due to the compliance market. Just the other day I posted an
article from the WSJ about banks seeking folks who are experienced in
money-laundering laws compliance. The same applies to our profession,
companies want professionals who are experienced in records
management.

its like my father said years ago "get into a profession where you can
be certified"  I did.

--
Peter Kurilecz CRM CA
Richmond, Va