Sender:
Date:
Fri, 9 Feb 2007 15:30:52 -0500
From:
Peter Kurilecz <[log in to unmask]>
> On 2/7/07, Blake Richardson <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> >
> > I am trying to determine if a study has ever been conducted and the
> > findings published on the following topic:
> >
> > *        Percentage (average) of an organization's records, by industry,
> > whose retention is governed by regulation, code, statute etc.

I'm unaware of any studies that have been conducted. A better avenue
would be to identify the various laws, regulations, codes etc that
your organization is subject. Once that is done you can then identify
the various recordkeeping requirements. And i say recordkeeping
because many times a law or regulation may not explicitly state a
retention period, but rather will just "maintain". You will also have
to read between the lines to see if there are any implied
requirements, ie, "they ask us to do X, does that mean we have to
create Y as proof?"

You can also tie this back to the various business processes. Studying
the business processes will help you to identify what is being
produced and hopefully why it is being produced?

hope this helps

be creative think outside the box

--
Peter Kurilecz CRM CA
Records Management - So easy a cavemen can do it!