Sender:
Date:
Fri, 9 Feb 2007 18:33:32 -0700
From:
Jesse Wilkins <[log in to unmask]>
Sam has an excellent point here - a significant concern for the ICRM should
be the disparity between 901 CRMs worldwide (as shown on the ICRM Registry)
and the tens of thousands of organizations (at a minimum) who would seem to
be in need of CRM-type people.

Just in the US, and just taking the Fortune 1000 and the top 1,000
government agencies, I'd guess less than 20% of them have a single CRM. It's
just how the numbers work out. I don't know if the ICRM keeps up with where
CRMs work, but I'd be curious to understand why e.g. Wal-Mart doesn't see
the need for a CRM. (Aside: If you are the RM for Wal-Mart, and you are a
CRM, I apologize. But this is just an example here.) Same thing with the
tens of thousands of corporations not in the Fortune 1000; 2,200+
institutions of higher education; the 240 cities with populations over
100,000; the 87,000 other government entities; and so forth. And compare
with the Project Management Professional, which has been around since 1984.
PMI counts more than 220,000 PMPs around the world. I'd certainly think one
could make the case that any organization large enough to warrant a PMP
should be large enough to warrant a CRM.

There are undoubtedly many reasons why there are so few CRMs around. And of
course I ain't one of them, so I can't talk too much about what I don't
know. I'm one of less than 250 Information Capture Professionals (ICPs,
accredited by TAWPI), and two of their issues relate to lack of awareness of
the certification outside a very narrow vendor community and the breadth of
exam coverage (very few people know remittance processing AND imaging AND
HR/ergonomics/management issues AND ECM/storage technologies). But it seems
to me there should be some soul-searching going on at ICRM and perhaps at
ARMA as well as to a) why this is still the case and b) what, if anything,
should be done about it.

So to go back to Ginny's observation earlier about the seeming lack of
connection between the CRM and higher salaries, it could be that there are
some...structural...issues along the lines of what Larry alluded to. It
could also be, as someone else said, that nobody who was a CRM applied, and
that others who were not CRMs provided feedback as to the salary for what
was being asked for. And it could be that there are so few CRMs out there
that very few organizations recognize their value. How to rectify that is an
exercise for others - but I submit that if it doesn't get rectified, CRM
could very well go the way of the dodo. If you take exception to this,
well....maybe that's a good thing?

And just in case it's not apparent from this, from my previous posts, or
because you don't know me, I'm an enthusiastic supporter of professional
development and have every intent to sit for the CRM myself at some point.

Respectfully submitted,

Jesse Wilkins
CDIA+, LIT, ICP, edp, ermm, ecms
IMERGE Consulting
Yahoo! IM: jessewilkins8511
(303) 574-1455 office
(303) 484-4142 fax
Looking for the latest education on electronic records, email, and imaging?
Visit http://www.imergeconsult.com/schedule2.html for a current schedule of
courses.