Sender:
From:
"Cunningham, Ray" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Feb 2007 21:15:33 -0600

These stats were previously posted from the 2005 salary survey. The salaries listed are for Records Managers only. I can run some stats on years of service, CRM vs. Non-CRM for other positions too.

I have always seen a variance between CRMs and Non-CRMs of about 2-6%. Note that below for example in the 21+ category the no-CRMs are ahead in salary. The last ARMA survey in the 1990s found about the same variance. Are CRMs paid more? I think overall yes but I have seen greater variances for other certifications. I think CRMs on the average have more experience, yet still factored for experience there is a spread. One thing I did notice was that CRMs with the CDIA were paid about $10k more than CRMs without. One trend we have seen is that more RIM professionals are holding more certifications and certificates. The numbers are increasing so that is another trend over the last survey.

My theory is that certification really matters most in the job search and even then it depends on the employer. If you are secure in your employment you may not need it. Some of the best records managers I know don't have the CRM. I remember the days when the certification was seen as a way for clerks without a degree to advance their careers (way back there when Larry was young). Suddenly it was being seen as a prerequisite for a position.

It is hard to compare employers across the board without factoring regional variations. All things will never be equal and some of the samples not large enough. Numbers of responses are in parentheses.

CRM with MA, MS graduate degree

CRM      $73,597 (26)   average years in profession 17.7
no CRM  $55,787 (58)   average years in profession 11.9

                CRM with BS, BA degree

CRM      $62,584 (26) average years in profession 18.7
no CRM $57,159 (65) average years in profession 14.1

        CRM vs. non-CRM by years of experience in RIM
      CRM                           non CRM
yrs  ct  salary              yrs  ct       salary
6-10 (2) $57,500         6-10 (48) $51,359
11-15 (18)$60,974      11-15 (47) $57,779
16-20 (20)$78,816      16-20 (33) $60,639
21+   (13)$61,039       21+   (30) $68,722

I will try to crunch more numbers on this. Another survey may be coming as I will be speaking on career development in Baltimore. Send me any thoughts and observations you may have.

Ray Cunningham