Sender:
Date:
Tue, 13 Feb 2007 16:11:04 -0600
From:
"Roach, Bill" <[log in to unmask]>
>>At times may work in basements, attics, warehouses and other records
storage areas that may be dusty or moldy.  Must be able to regularly
lift 50 lb. records storage boxes.<<

From my perspective, this is not as bad as it sounds.  I am a records
manager and find it quite interesting, and a necessity, to roll up my
sleeves from time to time and dig into stuff that has been overlooked,
ignored or forgotten.  Doing is not beneath me, it means that I am
making progress.  Boxes are a reality, if we can't lift them
occasionally, we should choose a different profession, like accounting
(no offense intended).

I think we should also remember that environmental criteria, including
lifting, dusty conditions and the like, is requirement for inclusion
into job descriptions.  Folks that can't do the work (lifting) or work
under those conditions (dusty) should know better than to apply.
Without the employer including the information, unqualified folks could
claim discrimination.  Another danger to employers is that an individual
with a known problem will take the job and then blame it on the company,
forcing them to pickup the tab.  That's the reality of an employer's
world.

Some might argue that similar requirements are not listed for other
management positions.  I would respectfully disagree.  I know of many
management positions that specify managers may have to work in adverse
conditions, be exposed to extreme heat or cold, and be available for
work even on their time off.

I just wonder how many of them would rather lift a couple of boxes once
in a while.  I have worked in both words, trust me, lifting boxes in a
dusty attic is much better than fixing heavy equipment when it is 40
degrees below zero.

Bill R

Bill Roach,  CRM
Manager, Corporate Records