Sender:
Date:
Tue, 13 Feb 2007 18:54:32 -0700
From:
Jesse Wilkins <[log in to unmask]>
Touche, Mr. Kurilecz! :)

And of course I understand the concept of "other duties as assigned" -
that's the final line of about every job you'd ever find. So I'm OK with the
moldy, mildewy, rat-infested goodness that is boxes of stuff in some records
centers.  But I certainly don't remember a hard requirement to do any
lifting in my capacity as a technical support manager, a software
development manager, a training manager....part of the reason IMNSHO that
"records manager" is different from those other managers is that many
records managers don't manage people - that is, the position itself is not
really a management position. Before I get the flames from some of you, yes,
I said MANY, not all - there are certainly records managers who have
budgetary responsibilities, personnel, hire/fire authority, etc. etc. etc.
But a project manager isn't always a manager, and a product marketing
manager isn't usually a manager in that narrow sense, and many records
managers are not engaged in managerial functions.

From the position (http://jobs.harvard.edu/jobs/summ_req?in_post_id=32740),
"The Records Manager supervises the work of the Records Analyst and provides
oversight and guidance to other records management professionals, support
staff, and/or temporary employees in the conduct of their duties."

So to me this is a management type of position, and as such while a box lift
here and there would not be untoward, the combination of a masters degree,
preference for CRM certification, and the ability to lift 50 pounds is
arguably a unique one. In contrast, here are five other "manager"-type
positions from the same jobs list at Harvard, none of which notes any
physical requirements:

Outreach Manager, Center for Middle Eastern Studies:
http://jobs.harvard.edu/jobs/summ_req?in_post_id=32765
Program Manager, Center for Workplace Development:
http://jobs.harvard.edu/jobs/summ_req?in_post_id=32726
Senior Property Manager, HRES:
http://jobs.harvard.edu/jobs/summ_req?in_post_id=32764
Marketing Manager, Executive Education:
http://jobs.harvard.edu/jobs/summ_req?in_post_id=32680
Facilities Manager, Engineering and Applied Sciences:
http://jobs.harvard.edu/jobs/summ_req?in_post_id=32623

So....

Jesse Wilkins
CDIA+, LIT, ICP, edp, ermm, ecms
IMERGE Consulting
Yahoo! IM: jessewilkins8511
(303) 574-1455 office
(303) 484-4142 fax
Looking for the latest education on electronic records, email, and imaging?
Visit http://www.imergeconsult.com/schedule2.html for a current schedule of
courses.