Date:
Thu, 15 Feb 2007 08:01:02 -0600
Sender:
From:
Bruce White <[log in to unmask]>
Jesse Wilkins [log in to unmask] said:
>So why doesn't the CRM have even 1% of the PMP's numbers despite SOX and
HIPAA,
>despite all the other regulations in the US and Canada, and despite
>being around 11 years longer than the PMP? I refuse to believe that all of
>YOU believe that there is that much more need, as opposed to demand, for
>demonstrably competent project managers than for demonstrably competent
>records managers, which is what the PMP and CRM are respectively. So is it
>the exam? Is it the program? Is it lack of awareness of the program, or of
>the profession at large? I don't know and I don't have the insights that
>many of you have from having been on the ARMA BOD and/or the ICRM Board of
>Regents and from having gone through the CRM process.

Sorry I'm getting late in on this but work sometimes gets in the way.  Being
one of the few CRMs with a PMP( five at least count), here's my view.  In a
nutshell - "Promotion and Branding."  When you think of project management,
the Project Management Institute comes immediately to mind, and in turn the
PMP.  Right now I am viewing a number of references to PMI and the PMP
through on the Google webportal that I am using to compose this message.

PMI has done an outstanding job of marketing the PMP to government and
industry throughout the world.  They advertise in a number of technical and
other trade related magazines and periodicals, both print and
on-line.   They also have a presence at many IT and other project related
conferences.  And just a few years ago the PMI leadership persuaded OPM to
create a separate career series for project managers.  They've also targeted
hiring managers, convincing them that holding the PMP as one of the
requirements for specific project positions; I'm seeing more and more
government project related positions requiring the PMP designation.

In addition, PMI has a large internal market to sell to and have established
networks within and committed the resources to promote the credential.  PMI
chapters exist in many countries; they are truly an international
organization.  As an example, I served on the board of the Kansas City PMI
chapter for almost two years.  When I left two years ago our chapter was
at 700 members and climbing.  Guess what, we were considered a medium sized
chapter.  Last count the Twin Cities had over 1000 members.  They also have
very active Specific Industry Groups (SIGs), the equivalent of what were
previously known within ARMA as ISGs.  These are large pools of potential
candidates in which to target.

There are probably addition reasons as well; the PMP exam consists of a
single, four hour (and exhausting) exam.  It can be taken any time of the
year at testing centers throughout the world.  And a number of vendors offer
courses, approved by PMI, that will prepare candidates for the test.  But in
my mind PMI's marketing effort is the main driver.

My two cents - now it is time to get back to the grind.
--
Bruce L. White, CRM, PMP
Houston, TX