Sender:
From:
"Colgan, Julie J." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Feb 2007 15:40:50 -0500
A few quick thoughts ...

However you retain other records is how you should retain email.  If you
are retaining paper by job function, then that should work for email.
The trick is to not create two different retention schedules/policy just
to accommodate format.

I'm certain there are many previous posts that will give you good ammo
re: risk exposure, spoliation, reasonableness (is that a word?), etc.
that will play into your argument.  But the simplest way I've explained
it is that "what's good for the goose needs to be good for the gander"
(you choose which is the goose - electronic or paper).

One more thing - consider what IT is saying, even if it doesn't match
how you're managing paper records.  I am finding that more and more
folks are now thinking of changing how they manage paper in order to
better support managing electronic records (including me).  Regardless,
you need to ensure your approach covers your bases (legal, business,
historical and financial requirements/needs as well as managing risk
with your eyes wide open).

I'm quite certain others on the list will have something to say on this
one ...

Good luck~
Julie