Sender:
Date:
Thu, 15 Feb 2007 18:59:08 -0500
From:
Peter Kurilecz <[log in to unmask]>
On 2/15/07, Gerry Clifford <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> I may have missed some posts, but I don't recall anyone touching on the  fact
> of who owns the e-mail, and who should archive it.

folks "archive" is not a verb, if you use the term as in "email
archiving" you are talking like an IT person and are just muddying the
water. We need to be talking about the management, retention and
disposition of email messages that have been classified as records.

Email as SteveP said is a transport tool that happens to be also the
record. I've like to use the analogy that email is an invisible
envelope. one that allows us to see the content. Now take that
analogy. Do you save the envelopes that your snail mail arrives in?
(and yes some of you will answer yes, but there are always exceptions
to the rule) I'm sure that most if not all throw away the envelope and
classify the contents.

Now imagine that you are not allowed to open the mail but are to
classify it based upon the envelope's data. How long would you keep
it? Its not possible to determine retention or classification based
upon the address information. you need to know what the contents are.
And that is what happens in the "email archive" world, capture and
keep the messages without regard to the contents.
--
Peter Kurilecz CRM CA
Richmond, Va