Sender:
Date:
Fri, 16 Feb 2007 06:32:16 -0500
From:
John Phillips <[log in to unmask]>
As a person that has been looking at RM software for a number of years, I
can tell you that it is unlikely that most Records Managers will be finding
an outsourced records storage vendor providing software that deals much with
records content. It is simply not what their business model is about.

Outsourced records storage (for either electronic or physical records) is
about low-cost storing of objects - boxes, files, folders, containers, and
possibly electronic files on a server. All software used by outsourced
storage vendors needs fundamentally only three date elements - 1) Who "owns"
the object, 2) Where is it (tracking/retrieval), and 3) Something to enable
them to CHARGE BACK TO YOU for storing it. Example - 1) John Phillips, 2)
Boxes of Computer Disks, 3) John's Address to send the invoice to.
Everything else is considered icing on the cake.

Tracking such records-related information as content/subject and retention
period metadata does not really add value ($)for the outsourced storage
vendor, so they consider it an additional headache to deal with at best.
They need to charge extra for database customization, additional reports,
scanning/OCR of contents, etc. This is not to say that they will never offer
these additional services (at a price), it is just not something that most
of their customers ask for or that is in their financial interest.

So, most Records Manager's organizations try to retain and manage their own
document content and records tracking metadata internally within in-house
records management applications - that interface with the records storage
vendor's tracking system through use of a common data element - often a
barcode or box number. It is common to use the records storage vendor's
system for box retrieval, after searching an internal database that had
content related information, along with the box number or barcode number of
the item that was sent to the records storage vendor.

This means that it is extremely important to get cooperation from the
records storage vendor in setting up the initial metadata (box number or
barcode) that will be used to track boxes or containers, especially if any
integration between internal and outsourced systems is expected. That
metadata is the link between the Records Manager's ability to search
internal content-oriented records tracking systems and to also be able to
use the same metadata to search for actual boxes (or electronic objects) in
the off-site storage vendors' facilities.

John

John T. Phillips
MSLS, CRM, CDIA, FAI
Electronic Records Management