Sender:
Date:
Fri, 16 Feb 2007 08:37:21 -0600
From:
"Nancy M. Kunde" <[log in to unmask]>
7BIT
Good morning everyone,

I get the list in digest format so I am day late in commenting on the
standards thread.  The Society of American Archivists Standards
Committee will be doing some pilot work this year to compile a standards
information site, potentially a portal.  The ARMA Standards Development
Committee and I hope some other organizations will assist in the
endeavor.  The idea is to create an online resource that records
professionals or anyone can consult to see what standards currently
exist, date last updated, standards in development, etc. and where they
can be obtained or accessed.   Right now the proposal is to have 5-6
major divisions one of which will be devoted to records management. The
SAA Standards Committee has done some background work on the project and
identified the pieces of information that will be collected for each
standards or guideline.

It is a major project, but I think a much needed one. Many folks have
had the frustration of trying to find out what standards exist and where
they can be obtained.  Increasingly, standards serve many purposes not
the least of which is serving as a model so that one does not need to
start scratch in an area or re-invent the wheel. In standards
development work, we need to know what already exists in an area before
developing new projects.  We think this standards identification project
will be valuable resource for the records related professions.

As the project proceeds, more information will be posted to this list
and others. Stay tuned.... I hope there will be progress to report late
this year.

Best Regards,
Nancy Kunde
SAA Standards Committee Chair
Member ARMA Standards Development Committee
University of Wisconsin Madison Records Officer
B134 Memorial Library
728 State St.
Madison, Wi 53706
608-262-3284