Sender:
Date:
Sun, 18 Feb 2007 00:47:36 -0500
From:
John Phillips <[log in to unmask]>
Yes, there are a few companies that will do content level tracking of
physical records and have enhanced interfaces to allow their customers to
access records' content remotely. And that can be a very good option for
internal RM Programs with limited IT support. However, Records Managers need
to be clear that all of the content metadata has to (usually) be created by
themselves or their organizations at a cost to their internal staff
(time/staff's ability). If the outsourced storage vendor does the indexing,
they may or may not have personnel knowledgeable about the clients' files or
subjects. Any major subject level content indexing or metadata creation
would need to come at some cost received back from the outsourced storage
vendor (time/staffing available) - which would be a reasonable expectation
on their part.

The idea is garbage-in/garbage-out. Nothing-in/nothing-out. Someone needs to
understand the records sufficiently well to be able to provide content
metadata, and the in-house creators of the records and the records
management personnel are usually in the best position to create that
information. Since there is today a major push by internal IT systems
support and software vendors to have Records Management functionality be
either 1)a retention module of Content Management system that is "capturing"
electronic records, or 2) a business rule that assists an application like
e-mail archiving, it will be increasingly difficult to justify having
"record-at-a-time" indexing of either paper or electronic records by anyone.

For valuable physical records that have been created or received, there will
be for some time a need to consider creating enough content metadata to
recall them from wherever they are - internal or off-site.

John

John T. Phillips
MSLS, CRM, CDIA, FAI
Electronic Records Management