Sender:
From:
"Colgan, Julie J." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Feb 2007 17:40:13 -0500
Sharon, The risks associated with not complying with the new procedure
are the same risks the company was exposed to before the new procedure
was put into place - not retaining the right info for the right amt of
time, not being able to find/use the info when necessary, not properly
protecting PII, etc.

Perhaps you're really asking, "Will the fact that there is now a
*directive* add another layer of compliance-related risk?"?  If that's
really the question, then my answer is "maybe" (please note that I did
NOT say 'it depends'!).  How is a "directive" defined in your
organization?  Is it synonymous with Policy (with a capital P)?  Is it
optional, mandatory, or my favorite ... loosely mandatory?  Your general
counsel should be the one to advise you on this type of non-compliance
risk based on your specific organization.

Any of our esteemed lawyer-types care to share their thoughts?

Julie

Julie J. Colgan
Director of Records Management
Nexsen Pruet, LLC