Sender:
From:
Patrick Cunningham <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Feb 2007 08:46:54 -0800
I promise to keep this post shorter than my last one.

PaK shared with the ICRM-L list last week a job posting that was
essentially a hard core IT network administrator position that also
required a CRM. There was virtually no mention of the records
management tasks other than the requirement that the person applying
have a CRM.

We've had a number of discussions of late about some of the absurd
requirements posted for records management positions. What we're kinda
up against is the maturing of the profession. The CRM seems to be a
credential that people want for their records manager, but I don't
think the hiring managers (or the recruiters) really understand what it
is. At the same time, many organizations are still struggling with
getting beyond the logistics aspects of records management jobs in the
past, hence we get the 30-50 pounds and forklift license requirements.

This really points to the value that ARMA's Competencies document will
have for the profession. In fairly short order we will have the ability
to point to a formal description of the competencies required for
records management staff at all levels of the profession. That should
be a huge help.

In the meantime, when we see these crazy requirements, it is probably
in the best interest of the profession for folks to help the recruiter
better align their job description with the requirements and
competencies that they really want. And this does not have to be an
abusive exchange. I think it is beneficial to point out where the
disconnects exist. If a company wouldn't require a CPA to take a typing
or adding machine test, then a CRM shouldn't be driving a forklift as a
core responsibility. You certainly expect that a CPA can use a computer
or a calculator; you can expect that if the CRM doesn't know how to
operate a forklift, they know how and when to utilize one -- and if
they have to be trained for safety reasons, they will likely pick it up
fairly quickly.

As professionals, we're all responsible for sharing information about
our profession and educating folks who have a need to better understand
what we do and how we do it.

Patrick Cunningham, CRM

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."