Sender:
From:
Chris Flynn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Feb 2007 16:47:04 -0700
Hugh,

Yes

The tribes are not independent nations.
They enjoy a what could be describes as asemi-autonomous existence.
They are bound be federal law. Confusion occurs when Federal law conflicts
with treaty rights. That is what the Supreme court is there for. There are
three groups (in general terms) of tribes. Those under BIA, Self Governance
tribes, and the Navajo/Inuit/Hawaiian peoples.

the Burea tribes are managed by the Bueau of Indian Affairs. If you can make
heads or tails of their RM practices you are a better man than I. I spent
quite a bit of time working on Bureau files and to say they have compliance
issues would be an undersatement. Do the laws you listed apply to them? I am
not sure the laws of nature and man apply there. :)

The Navajo/Inuit/Hawaiian peoples have different sets of rules that apply
only to them. However, IMHO they still have to comply.

Self Governance tribes take on the cmpliance issues themselves and as far as
I know do a good job. the tribes in this group would comply with with any
federal law and if anything be more stringent in compliance.

So you are gonna be a member of the Recomanche Clan of the Wannabe Tribe. I
think I'll pass. As far as your name I think the list can come up with some
better names. Come on folks let's find Hugh  a good name to take to with
him.

Chris Flynn