Sender:
Date:
Tue, 27 Feb 2007 13:39:47 -0600
From:
"Shelton, Alicia" <[log in to unmask]>
Hugh,

I am a Mac user at home; I don't use one for work.  I've been using a
Mac in one form or another daily for about 7 years.  Like most Mac
users, I have yet to install any anti-virus or additional firewall
software on my machine. OS X has a built in (somewhat) configurable
firewall.

One thing I did do at home was to lock down my router.  I found these 5
steps from CNN to be very helpful:

* Change your default network name (SSID) to something unique.
* Enable MAC address filtering so that you specify the only computers
that are allowed to connect to your network.
* Disable SSID broadcast so that most scanners won't "see" your network.

* Enable WEP or WPA encryption. Most wireless equipment comes with
encryption technology -- be sure to activate it before using.

Your router manual should help you do all of this.  Of course, this
doesn't do anything for you if you're using a public wireless connection
in a coffeeshop, city park, airport, etc.

As for encryption, doesn't the latest version of OS X come with
FileVault 128 bit encryption?  You might want to check into that if you
do end up with work files on your laptop.
http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/security/

If all else fails, you could always resort to Symantec's Mac products:
http://www.symantec.com/home_homeoffice/products/category.jsp?pcid=ma

One last thing - don't forget to update your Mac for Daylight Savings
Time!  http://www.macworld.com/news/2007/02/15/appleupdate/index.php

I wish I had more information for you, but a big reason for me getting a
Mac for home use is that I'm lazy.  After working 8 hours a day
troubleshooting other folks' machines the last thing I want to do is
spend hours on computer security at home.

Good luck!

Alicia Shelton
Systems Analyst
The University of Texas System