Sender:
Date:
Wed, 14 Mar 2007 14:35:59 -0400
From:
Peter Kurilecz <[log in to unmask]>
On 3/14/07, Chris Flynn <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> I haven't talked to anyone on that side of tha hall lately, but I would
> guess that it is the ownership and litigation issues that are driving this,
> not the cost so much. we had a similar issue with this list some years ago.
> If I remember correctly we lost a few years out of our archives as well.

the archives for recmgmt-l list were lost during  migration not due to
threats of litigation. Everything prior to March 2000 vanished into
the ether. This list has undergone 2 migrations from syr.edu to mn.edu
to ufl.edu where we currently reside.

there is a question, in SAA's "mind" as to whether or not they own the
list archives prior to their taking ownership. A couple of folks have
threatened litigation if old postings aren't removed.

for those who would like to see what the discussion is about here is a
link to their archives. the arguments being put forth for
decommissioning the old archives are pretty lame in my estimation. SAA
leadership has been quiet about this except for the announcement.

http://forums.archivists.org/read/?forum=archives

needless to say but many of the archivist listserv subscribers are not
happy with the decision

--
Peter Kurilecz CRM CA
Richmond, Va