Sender:
Date:
Fri, 16 Mar 2007 10:03:51 -0400
From:
"Link, Gary M." <[log in to unmask]>
Some time ago I posted a question to the list asking about specific records retentin citations related to HIPAA. After continuing my own research I believe I have the specific CFR's written for the HIPAA law. If I am incorrect, please let me know so that I am not passing along disinformation:

CFR for HIPAA: 45 CFR 164.102 thru 164.534

45 CFR 164.105(c)(2) is the CFR setting the six year retention for protected health info (PHI) - its creation, maintenance, and transmission.

45 CFR 164.530(j)(2) requires six years retention of superseded PHI policies & procedures; and
any communications required by a hospital's PHI policies & procedures;
any documentation where PHI policies & procedures required an action, activity, or designation to be documented;
any complaints against the hospital's PHI policies and procedures (re: 530(d)(1) & (2));
and any sanctions against emplyees who violate the hospital's PHI policies and procedures (re: 530(e)).

Respectfully submitted,
Gary Link, CRM
Corporate Records Manager
Astorino