Sender:
Date:
Wed, 28 Mar 2007 16:32:32 -0700
From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
On 3/28/07, Tracey Black <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Would anyone we willing to share some information regarding Engineering
> Drawings?
>

> One of the Engineers in our organization would like to become more up to
> date with how drawings are retained, such as media, size, etc.  Best
> Practices so-to-speak on Engineering Drawings.

Engineering drawings and their supporting documentation (calculations,
specifications, material take off lists, bills of material, P&IDs, punch
lists, etc) can be maintained in a number of forms and formats, and it's not
uncommon to employ a hybrid solution, maintaining some drawings in their
native form and others in either microfilm or electronic formats, or both.
Media type again depends on too many factors to provide a single answer.

Does anyone know of a good place to start to get this information?  Any
> assistance would be helpful!

No one will be able to give you a finite answer on how long you should
retain these without knowing what the drawings represent, who you are
regulated by, if these are private or public facilities, how risk tolerant
your organization is willing to be, if there are more than one state the
facilities the drawings are related to exist in (pipelines and bridges for
example can span state lines), and a number of other issues.

You can take a look here for some VERY GENERAL guidance, but again, it's not
a law or regulation

www.nspe.org/liability/Doc*Retention*Guidelines0305final.pdf

I'd also suggest checking with your state Engineer's  or Architect's
Licensing Board to see if they have any guidance.

Larry

--
Larry Medina
Danville, CA