Sender:
Date:
Wed, 18 Apr 2007 09:46:26 -0600
From:
Jesse Wilkins <[log in to unmask]>
Comments:
To: Management & Preservation of Electronic Records <[log in to unmask]>
Hi all,

Just a quick note from the AIIM Conference in Boston for those of you unable
to attend.

First, as has already been noted, congrats to Ginny Jones for the Thomas C.
Bagg Standards Award. I have posted a list of all the awards winners, both
individual and vendor, at
http://informata.blogspot.com/2007/04/aiim-awards-recap.html.

Now, my thoughts.

The conference program is pretty good so far, featuring seven concurrent
tracks on Tuesday, six on Wednesday, and five on Thursday. My total count
for sessions is 82 sessions including a couple of "supersessions" for Google
and IBM FileNet/Yahoo!. There is also a series of sessions on the show floor
at the ECM Theater that seem to be mostly vendor panels. Not as well
attended - and I think sometimes they are hard to hear because the Theater
is sandwiched between the on-floor food vendor and the main entrance to the
exhibit hall.

Microsoft has a big footprint here, including on the show floor and on the
program. Lots of interesting stuff at the Microsoft Partner Pavilion,
featuring among others OpenText, Captaris, Vignette, Applied Information
Sciences, Clearview, Hyland Onbase, EMC Documentum, Interwoven,
KnowledgeLake, Meridio, and OmniRim.

The PP also features a number of demos of how to manage ECM using Office
2007, Vista, and Sharepoint 2007. If you haven't started looking at
Sharepoint 2007 yet - you need to. Because others in your organization are,
if they aren't already using it. The good news is that it can be used for
records management. The bad news is that it takes some configuration to make
sure it's being done properly. THIS IS YOUR PURVIEW!

Interestingly, OpenText is only here with the PP, and FileNet isn't here at
all that I can see. They have a session here, but that's it. IBM is here,
but only on the print side. Oracle and EMC Documentum also have pretty big
presences here.

CMSWatch has released a new report on ECM Suites that compares more than two
dozen vendors. For more information visit http://www.cmswatch.com.

Among associations exhibiting at AIIM this year are The Association for Work
Process Improvement (TAWPI - http://www.tawpi.org), CompTIA (home of the
CDIA+ - http://www.comptia.org), and a records management association some
of you may have heard of (http://www.arma.org).

AIIM released the new ECM Toolkit on Collaboration. This is a collection of
14 articles from E-DOC Magazine, E-DOC online, and E-DOC Web Exclusives. As
with the previous toolkits on RM, email management, compliance, BPM, etc.
these are ONLY available to AIIM members. $125 gets you a year's membership,
access to all twelve of the toolkits, and the usual benefits of member
association. But even if you're not sure whether AIIM is a good fit for you
(and I think it is for most of the folks on the list, but hey, I'm biased
:D), the $125 for the ECM Toolkits is worth it by itself in my opinion.

AIIM made a couple of education announcements as well. "Several thousands"
have completed some form of the ERM Certificate Program or the ECM
Certificate Program. The last official count I had was more than 2,000, so
it's certainly north of that. And a significant percentage of the attendees
have stopped by the AIIM booth to get the pins....AIIM currently has no
plans to mail out pins to attendees of previous classes, and they are
checking names off when they give them out here, so I can't help you get
them. Might talk either to your local AIIM chapter leadership, or to AIIM
directly ([log in to unmask]) about how you might get the pins.

The other announcement was that AIIM has named CMSWatch to develop two
additional courses, on Business Process Improvement and on Information
Organization and Access (IOA), as well as a couple of shorter enrichment
courses on discovery, compliance, and productivity/efficiency. For more
information about all the AIIM education initiatives visit
http://www.aiim.org/training.

Next year's conference will be in Boston again, March 3-6, 2008. The call
for presentations will go out probably late summer. For regular updates on
the show you can also visit my blog at http://informata.blogspot.com. And if
you have anything in particular you want to know about the show, drop me a
note - can't promise I'll find the answer, but I'll give it a shot.

Regards,

Jesse Wilkins

CDIA+, edp, LIT, ICP, ermm, ecmm

Access Sciences Corporation