Date:
Tue, 24 Apr 2007 14:37:11 -0700
Sender:
From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
 A request was recently made by
> one of our groups at the firm to purchase a fire proof file cabinet for
> the storage of small quantities of hardcopy vital records that require
> frequent access.  We are in a new facility with pretty high-tech
> fire/smoke detection and sprinkler systems.

You'll find fire resistant, but there's no such thing as fire PROOF.  The
best cabinets I'm aware of are those sold by SCHWAB Corp., and you can get a
number of sizes and styles, some designed specifically to protect paper,
others designed to protect media, and some compartmented to do both.

Two questions:

> 1.  Theoretically, nothing is ever going to get "torched" before it is
> soaked, correct?

Sure it could.  This depends on a number of factors.  The type of enclosure
you place it in, the surrounding environment, the volume of information, the
design of the sprinkler system, the type of fire detection and suppression
system in place, and others.

2.  Are the fire RESISTANT safes also protected against water, if so are
> there any specs available to assist with selecting the proper cabinet?

Yup.  UL72 is the Standard for Media Safes and NFPA 232 provides some
guidance as well.

Larry

--
Larry Medina