Sender:
Date:
Thu, 26 Apr 2007 06:31:42 -0500
From:
Norman Owens <[log in to unmask]>
I would agree that minimizing categories is not a tenable approach given
that the multiplicity of categories tends to be a function of legislation.
My limited view as an IT person is that the legislation accounts for the
bulk of the growth in categories.  Thus the multiplicity becomes a
requirement that the technical solution has to address.   If the
multiplicity were driven by end-users then it would be eaiser to push back
against this growth by showing the cost of many, many rather than few
categories.  I imagine that IT folk in companies would tend to want limited
categories as well because this reduces what they would have to manage as
they try to respond to requests with the tools that they currently have.

On a different note, I belong to the SNIA End User Council, a collection of
the IT folk who use and manage the storage, and I can help push back to the
SNIA solution designers who want fewer categories.  I can also help get ARMA
folk into the solutions groups at SNIA who are trying to address the issue
from a standards perspective.  Please email me if you are so inclined.  (
This invitation doesn't extend to vendors of products who could elect to
join SNIA directly. )