Sender:
From:
"Grevin, Frederic" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Apr 2007 10:11:24 -0400
Hi, Larry.

The situation is, unfortunately, more complicated than I described in my
first posting.

Yes, the existing design philosophy is based on a combination of the
organisational structure and the file plan. The same RRDS exists in
duplicate form across many of the 55 "mayoral" agencies and all too often,
within the same agency.

In New York City, mayoral agencies do not have the right to create, amend or
eliminate RRD schedules. The NYC Department of Records and Information
Services (DORIS) is charged with that task, and another agency, the NYC
Department of Law, has the responsibility to review and approve the
schedules. Making changes is an uncertain and very time-consuming process.

So yes, the "new design philosophy" is to use functional classifications, to
ensure the same RRDS is applied across all City agencies when applicable
(which is the case with HR records) and is also applied uniformly within all
parts of the agency. Most of the reduction in the sheer number of schedules
should come out of this part of the project.

But the existing schedules are not efficiently organised: to find a
particular schedule, you have to go through the list of "short titles",
sorted in alphabetical order. So a another desired result of our upcoming
project is to create a hierarchical structure that will make it easier --
MUCH easier, we hope -- to quickly locate the applicable schedule.

Thanks very much for your comments.

Hope you're well.

Fred