Sender:
Date:
Thu, 3 May 2007 10:11:38 -0500
From:
"Cunningham, Ray" <[log in to unmask]>
I received a call from a company with 110 employees seeking a records
manager. I asked them several questions and they would say, "Well you
don't understand." I wondered how such a small group could pay for a
records manager.
I thought I could probably give them advice so I went for a visit. The
files were an absolute mess and departments were angry at the records
staff and each other. Hoarding had broken out making matters worse. The
file clerk was leaving and it was time for a new start. I told them I
would take the job for two years and try to sort it out. I am still here
after 10 years. The hire of a records manager enabled us to move beyond
paper and better handle information in general.

We tend to look at things such as the number of employees without
considering the nature of the business or the regulatory requirements.
Numbers of containers, images, and employees are not as important today
as they once were. We used to say one employee for every 5000 boxes but
what would we say today?

Each situation is different. Some law firms of less than 120 have a RM
for very good reasons.

Raymond K. Cunningham, Jr. CRM, CA
Manager of Records Services
University of Illinois Foundation