Date:
Fri, 4 May 2007 01:04:10 -0400
From:
Hugh Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Sender:
I would like to hear some effects that each of you expect to occur in
the coming years?

Iron Mountain stated in their press release that they expect the
coming year to be one filled with even more acquisitions but with
smaller companies being targeted.  Given that their approach is to
consolidate box collections in larger and larger facilities, how will
your  management react to this?

Is storing corporate records in such large facilities a good thing?
Is moving records farther from you a good thing with delivery costs
up and the delivery time window moving from the traditional 12 hour
and 24 hour to 48 hours or longer to have a record in hand. (Or a
third party delivery agent in place?)

If records managers back in 1990 and forward had struck through the
line about Permanent Removal Fees, struck through the clause that
allowed the storage company to outsource delivery to the pizza
delivery boy if it saves them a nickel and added a clause that stated
that any move of records from the existing location was a breach of
contract, would any of this be happening?

Will moving records further away from the smaller markets be a good
thing?  Or will it spur new players in the local markets.  UPS, DHL
and FedEx can expand their delivery service to handle the movement of
all records.  Right?  Or will they enter the field of document
storage too??  Why not?  If they are going to be the delivery team
why not build huge storage terminals next to their facilities.  One
of the storage companies just built a huge terminal right next to
FedEX so maybe this is already happening?  If Symantec can be an
evaulter isn't everything possible?

In reality will any of this matter?  Some feel that the average of 16
years on a shelf for a box of records is being drastically reduced.
Shredding is going through the roof right now as many companies seek
to concentrate more of their records in digital archives not paper
stored in warehouses.  So they are shortening the retention period on
paper.  This is leading to massive amounts of shredding.

The Hostage Fee issue has been fought and won by the clients in
several markets.  The courts view Hostage Fees as Restraint of
Trade.  This is important if you wish to downsize your box
collections so you can move to digital records.  You then pull them
and shred them.

Server Vaults are increasing in popularity.  Evaulting is increasing
in popularity.  Symantec came into evaulting the other day as did
another large IT World type company.  Asigra has developed a network
of Evaulters that can compete with anyone.  The Internet is the
pathway from anywhere to anywhere for storage. Some evault to India?
I have a problem with that? Am I the only one?  Identity Theft is
through the roof.  Who is to blame?

Disk to Disk Mirroring is increasing so paper is far less important.
Local records storage companies are moving into Media Vaulting,
Server Vaulting and Co-Location so we really are in the midst of change.

The courts have raised the value of Email to that of a "Vital Record"
so who will you trust it to?

The mergers are moving boxes, but are they as valuable now as they
use to be?

Is your company taking any new approaches in how you deal with records?

I know that Home Depot, Walmart and other Superstores make things
convenient and there is no risk therefore in using one store for
everything, but do we really want all our records in one huge
warehouse?  Is that prudent in a risk management approach.

What if all of Chicago lost its back up data on the same day?  Could
this affect our national economy?  Remember when one power company's
switch flipped and triggered a cascade in power failure and data
centers all over went in to recovery at the same time.  Are we at
that point with records management?

We do know we have never been here before, and there is no Homeland
Defense Drill to see what the effect of these consolidations will
be.  So we are forced to look at the company by company approach.
What I am seeing is a change away from paper in a big way.  All of a
sudden companies are back to imaging paper that they want to keep
from old records as they move to total digital.  When the last fax
gets unplugged, I think paper drops to a minimal level. ( Since I can
send digital faxes and receive digital faxes, we are almost there.)

Hugh