Sender:
Date:
Fri, 11 May 2007 12:19:28 -0400
From:
"Breeden, John B." <[log in to unmask]>
"Seeing as the first of these stories posted on May 1st, I probably
missed
them in RAIN... but has anyone heard anything about the implications of
this
in the impacted States (Arizona, California, Utah and Virginia)?

"Despite the obvious benefits of this Google initiative for those
conducting
Web searches, privacy advocates said they are worried about unintended
consequences, cautioning that some records may contain personal and
confidential information that should not be widely available."

Larry,
Based on what I read in the article, there are no privacy concerns with
what Google is doing in Virginia as it appears they are only making
colonial records available.  Our colonial period ended in 1775, although
we certainly enjoyed her majesty visiting us earlier this week.

Now many of our Clerks of Circuit Courts that "manage" deed/land records
in Virginia are rather cavalier with social security numbers and making
those records (peppered with social security numbers) available via
subscription services.  I'm waiting for the first proven case of
fraud/identity theft from THAT deplorable practice and then our
legislators will belatedly close the barn door.
John

John Breeden, CRM
Richmond, VA