Sender:
Date:
Fri, 1 Jun 2007 19:34:10 -0700
From:
Mimi Dionne <[log in to unmask]>
Having written the records retention schedule a year and a half ago for our start-up company, we've added 150+ employees since then, and my Director has charged me to slim down the functional RRS to 50% of the 120 existing series.

  I find that, while we're building terminals on the coast of the Gulf of Mexico, we're still in the construction phase of building--but we'll soon be in the "Operations" phase of at least one terminal, so as I sit down (informally!) with assorted, designated records coordinators from each department, I'm hearing alot of "we don't have these records now, but we will by this time next year".

  Here's what I'm thinking as I edit the RRS: at some point, we're going to be sued.  Outside counsel will use our RRS (like our email calendars) as a roadmap for litigation, so the less on the RRS now, the better for us in the future.  Hence, bigger buckets.  Also, drafts are out, friend.  I've charged the records coordinators to think big.

  I want Records only in our EDMS.  We're slicing and dicing the RRS as we implement our records program...as we edit, I think some surprising numbers will surface.  For example, what series on the RRS have we never used?  Each folder in the EDMS ties back to a series--what series on the RRS have we not used yet (in addition to, which folders in the EDMS have we never used)?  Why do they exist, then, if no records are in them?

  Adele and I find these kinds of stats vital to reporting to upper managemen--this kind of information, especially in numeric form, keeps the support coming.

  Just a couple of thoughts on a Friday evening,

  Mimi

Mimi Dionne, CRM, CDIA+
Records Manager
Cheniere Energy, Inc.