Sender:
Date:
Mon, 18 Jun 2007 15:41:18 -0400
From:
"Breeden, John B." <[log in to unmask]>
Steve Petersen wrote "Cheryl- I think I have some problems with the
duplicates,convenience,reference,.....  not being considered records.
think you can define them as having a shorter retention period if you
wish
BUT I think they are records"

Steve,
I agree with you entirely.  I've tried to encourage the use of the term
"transitory records" for duplicate and convenience copies but my friends
here in Virginia argue that copies of records are "non-records".  I
think it misleads people who already don't understand records management
to call them non-records, although it would be mighty handy to be able
to deny a Freedom of Information Act request or not respond to legal
discovery because the "record" was destroyed.  I suppose the FOIA
requestor or opposing counsel would have a problem with that.
John

John Breeden, CRM
Richmond, VA