Sender:
Date:
Thu, 5 Jul 2007 12:23:37 -0400
From:
Simon DeWitt <[log in to unmask]>
Gary,

The questions was not if a RM professional could become a IT Manager.
The question was if RM should be under IT.

I certainly believe people can change professions and be successful.
I also believe that there are some companies where RM is under IT and
some where IT is under RM and its working out great for them.
It is just my opinion that it is best to have somebody independent
leading the two departments. For example the RM & IT Manager both report
to a Director of Administration. That Director could also have other
department beneath him/her like HR and Finance.

Most IT managers I know are very capable of managing people, change and
business processes. I might even argue that they are better with
adapting to change than we are, meanwhile I would say that we are
stronger with business processes.

All these are generalization and naturally could be argued down when
somebody would uses a specific individual as an example.

I would try to find a Friday Funny for tomorrow so I would at least have
one post where I don't step on anybody's feet.

I wish you all good day now - I am getting out early :-)

Simon De Witt

Tampa Bay Water scans all email for viruses,
worms, and inappropriate material and blocks email
deemed harmful or inappropriate. Email service is
provided to Tampa Bay Water users for business
purposes.