Sender:
From:
Don Saklad <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Jul 2007 15:59:27 -0400
Sent-From: "BWS Johnson" <[log in to unmask]>
http://lists.ala.org/wws/arc/ifforum
Cc: <[log in to unmask]>

Salvete!

> I'm looking at the failures of archivists and records management
> professionals with respect to sunshine open public meetings
> principles, FOI freedom of information principles and intellectual
> freedom.
>
> For too long archivists and records management professionals have
> flouted their very own enunciations of their professions' ethical
> statements. The ethics of these important professions are inordinately
> flouted in the day to day practices of archivists and records
> management professionals.

This is shameless self promotion, but it's relevant to your post. I gave
a talk on ethics a few months back. The audio of which may be accessed
here (it's the 4th link as of nowish)
http://www.wmrls.org/ce/notes/index.html

I don't think that archivists nor records management professionals by
and large are out to be unethical or sinister. I *do* think there's a
triage to ethics in all fields and concentrations.

Frankly, and perhaps pessimistically, I think ethics suffer most when
bottom lines do. Unfortunately, due to the extra training time and
perhaps equipment costs (minimal as those may be) digitising or
otherwise making things available electronically certainly seems to tend
to slip to the bottom of the laundry list.
Cheers,
Brooke @ Hinsdale MA
http://lists.ala.org/wws/arc/ifforum